Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Buddy


The Buddy is five months old a week from tomorrow. Astounding. Obviously he's changed quite a bit: height, weight, milestones, all that. But more than milestones, he's so much more person-ish. He laughs at funny noises, his eyes light up when Daddy comes home, and he looks at me as if he expects me to do something extraordinary. I've never been happier in my life.

I'm surprised at just how much fun it is to be a mom. I know there will be parts ahead that plainly suck, but all the trouble in the future is worth it to see one huge morning grin.



At nearly five months, the Buddy is hugely aware of things around him. Lately, he's begun to be interested in our dog Kodo, a yellow Labrador retriever. Kodo, for his part, wants nothing to do with the Buddy. In fact, I think he's quite frightened of the baby. Not surprising; Kodo is scared of a huge list of things including plastic, metal, wires and cords, small dogs, bunnies, and particularly self-assured cats. Not much of a stretch to add fifteen pound babies to that list. I'm confident that in a few months' time, Kodo will appreciate the Buddy wandering around the house dropping goldfish crackers everywhere. Kodo can follow him around like a happy Pac-man, chomp chomp chomping up the trail of fishies and Cheerios. In return, Kodo will endure the endless tugging, pulling, and attempts at bareback dog-riding from the Buddy. I believe they will find it to be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment